The best way to make your fish sticks crispy, golden, and crunchy is by cooking the frozen fish sticks in an air fryer.
You get to avoid the hassle of deep-frying or waiting for your oven. Frozen fish sticks in air fryer come out great, takes less time than the regular cooking methods, and are by far healthier than fish sticks that are deep-fried.
For an easy and quick snack or lunch, frozen fish sticks in the air fryer are just the perfect choice.
How to Make Frozen Fish Sticks in Air Fryer?
Fish sticks are so lovable and could quickly become irresistible. The good news is that cooking frozen fish sticks with an air fryer is ridiculously easy.
With air frying, they come out delicious and crispy. Fish sticks are way better using an air fryer than the typical oven because the hot air it emits makes your fish crispy and crunchy without using any sort of oil.
What you need is to add some sauce of your choice and little slices of lemon, and it’s a go! The bright lemon juice makes it mouth-watering. However, if you decide to make it a meal, then air frying some French fries would be awesome for a great fish and chips dinner.
Follow the details below to get an excellent result:
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees for about 5 minutes. If your air fryer model is older and less non-stick version, you have to spray the basket with a non-stick spray.
- Place a single layer inside the air fryer basket. It’s best to avoid overlapping food in the basket to allow the hot air to do its job well and get your desired crispy result.
- Close the cover and schedule the timer for 10 minutes.
- To get the best crispy result, you have to turn each of them in between the time. You can get a spatula to flip as many pieces as you want.
- Close the lid and wait for another 5 minutes
- If you prefer your fish sticks crispier, you can wait for an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over them and serve hot with the appetizing tartar sauce.
Adjust Temp and Time
Frozen fish sticks come in various sizes and thicknesses. Their brands are different; that’s why you need to observe the timing that works for the particular brand you’re using, and know when to adjust.
Your first batch of frozen fish sticks in the air fryer should be a ‘test batch.’ After the first batch, you’ll be able to tell the best time that fits your frozen fish sticks brand for a significant result.
You also have to ensure to cook them in single layers, leaving some space between each piece. If you stack them together, they won’t be well crisped as the hot air won’t be able to touch all areas.
Why Use an Air Fryer Instead of an Oven When Cooking Fish Sticks?
- Unlike using an oven, with an air fryer that only requires about 12 minutes to cook your fish sticks, and you don’t have to preheat to use
- Frozen fish sticks in the air fryer are by far crispier on the outside layer while remaining juicy and succulent beneath compared to oven-made fish sticks.
- Kids find it more challenging to use ovens while with an air fryer. They can easily cook fish sticks without any help.
- With an air fryer, you don’t need oil frying, which is why cooking fish sticks in an air fryer is the healthier option.
How Can You Tell the Most Excellent Fish Sticks?
Most times, the answer varies based on who you ask. But after a successful questionnaire, the outcome is as follows:
- The best was said to be Van de Kamp’s style.
- The second was the Gorton’s, which are preferred mostly for their beer-battered versions.
- Another highly ranked brand is Trident Seafoods.
Making Fish Sticks From Scratch
If you prefer to make your fish sticks instead of getting them from the store, that’s fine as it is relatively easy. You can use a simple flour mixture or almond flour. Another alternative is to combine seasonings and breadcrumbs in a bowl and mix them. Here’s the step to follow:
- Slice your fish, use paper towels to dry and remove moisture
- Dip into a bowl and whisk with egg
- Press the bread crumbs on the outside.
- Then place them in the air fryer for about 4 to 6 minutes, and voila!
If you’re concerned about your frozen fish sticks in the air fryer being gluten-free, you can follow this method. Making them yourself might be healthier than the packaged ones.
Air Frying Notes and Tips
- Cook while frozen, no need for any oil, and you don’t need to heat first.
- Avoid overcrowding your air fryer basket, and ensure to turn them halfway through.
- Preheating isn’t necessary, but if you’re making multiple batches, the subsequent batches won’t take as much time to get crispy as the first time since the air fryer is hotter.
- If you have a larger air fryer, your frozen fish sticks in the air fryer might take less time to get crispy, so reduce the time.
- Always remember to set a timer to flip your frozen fish sticks in the air fryer halfway through.
Types of Dipping Sauces to Support Your Frozen Fish Sticks in Air Fryer
- If you are a lover of all things spice, you can’t go wrong with chili sauce.
- To add some sort of tangible feel to your crunchy fish sticks, you can use tomato ketchup.
- As a committed flavor lover, you can try garlic sauce.
- With barbecue sauce, you’ll end up obsessed with the frozen fish sticks in the air fryer.
- Now, tell me who doesn’t love the taste of cheese sauce!
Air Fried Fish Sticks and Chicken Nuggets – Which is Healthier?
The truth is that they are both processed, prepackage, and fresh foods will always be the best. Nonetheless, there are some things to note about both:
- To compare them, it depends on the brand you use and how large each size is, but the chicken nuggets are a bit better.
- The chicken nuggets have about 30 fewer calories than the typical piece of breaded fish, which is why you are likely to be better off with chicken nuggets.
- They are both generally in moderation as far as we are talking about healthy foods.